Stanford University PhD – Social Anthropology 1973, MA 1966 Beloit College (Wisconsin) 1965
Fulbright Award 1983. Academic Program Specialist on Micro-Computer uses in social sciences. Ted used his Fulbright award to teach indigenous peoples in Oaxaca computer technologies so they could publish newsletter and writings in their own languages.
ELECTED LEADERSHIP POSITIONS
- Arizona House of Representatives – elected 2 term – State Representative – Democrat. 2003-2006.
- Democratic Precinct Committeeman – Precinct 58 in Legislative District 28. 4 terms elected. 2000-2009.
- State President, American Association of University Professors, Arizona Conference – 10 campus statewide. 1988-1990. Vice President 1990-1995.
- American Civil Liberties Union, Arizona Board of Directors – 2008 -2010
- President, Society for Applied Anthropology – 1985-1987.
- See SfAA Presidency of Ted Downing. See the Society’s first SfAA Policy and Procedures Manual 1986 prepared by T Downing Ted prepared that was adopted in an historic meeting in Independence Hall in Philadelphia, 3 Dec 1986.
- President, International Network on Displacement and Resettlement INDR. – Founder 2000 – present.
University of Arizona
- Research Professor of Social Development and Director of the Social Development Division, Arizona Research Laboratories (1992 – present).
- Director of Social Anthropology, Arizona State Museum (1985-1992).
- Research Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology (1982-1992).
- Anthropologist, Bureau of Applied Research in Anthropology (1980-85).
- Interim Director, Bureau of Applied Research in Anthropology (1977-1981).
- Assistant Professor, Department of Anthropology (1972-1980).
- Research Specialist, Bureau of Applied Research in Anthropology, BARA (formerly the Bureau of Ethnic Research) (1972-77).
- Assistant Professor of Hydrology and Water Resources (1971-72).
University of Oxford, England
Visiting Scholar. Institute of Social Anthropology (Jan – Nov 1983).
Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Japan
Visiting Professor of Social Policy. College of Policy Science, Ritsumeikan University. Presented annual short-courses on international social development policies to graduates and upper-division undergraduates (1998-2001).
King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Research Director and Associate Professor of Arid Land Studies in Faculty of Meteorology and Environmental Studies (July 1982-Jan. 1983). Advisor to Dean Dr. Abdulbar Al-Gain, Dean of the Faculty and, in government, the Founding Director of the Saudi Arabian Meteorology and Environmental Protection Agency (MEPA) 1977 – 1983.
Mexican National Science Foundation
Scientific Research Team Director Center for Eco-Development,(Centro de Eco-desarrollo, Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología).(Sept. 1977 – June 1979)
“Yes, I am here. And you are lucky to be here too after all the absurd things you’ve done since you left home.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring Nov 25, 2013
- Ted is a direct descendent of The American Revolution whose family (Snelson surname) has been elected to political office for five generations.
- Ted lived in 25 different places before he was 14 years old, leaving little yellow rain coats in many schools all over the US.
- Ted plays the banjo and guitar – he says that when babies are born in Oklahoma, they are given a baby rattle in one hand and either a banjo, guitar or fiddle in the other.
- Ted has been an active amateur radio operator since he was 13 years old. His call letters are W7KEY and he hold many awards, including for his work providing emergency communications (civil defense).
- Ted and his wife, Carmen, celebrate their 42th wedding anniversary this year.
- As an anthropologist, Ted has conducted academic and applied research in the Americas (Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Paraguay, Argentina, Chile, American Southwest), the United Kingdom, the Middle East (Egypt, Syria, Saudi Arabia, and Yemen), and Africa (Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria).
- President and Owner, Q5 Inc. 2003 – present.
- Consultant, Downing and Associates, 1988-Present
See also Ted’s PROJECTS See also Ted’s WRITINGS